Saturday, January 7, 2012

Untitled



This painting has been deliberately untitled. I just didn't know the inspiration or the "why" behind this expression - although it is no less than inspired by God than my others. I painted this with my blending knife for texture and emotion and found that at one point I felt a little weepy and nostalgic. I had a distinct memory of the huge peony bush near our house when I was very young; they were enormous white flowers that sometimes had ants making their merry way in and out of the petals - and of my mother whom I seem to remember as a package deal with these blooms. My mother passed away when I was nine and I have these fleeting memories of her that are a bit melancholy for me, but sweet.

The Lord reminds us of His beauty through nature, and peonies are His art. His art brings peace, awe and sometimes memories. Your eyes move through the art a bit like those pesky ants in our Peony blooms, taking in every curve, nuance, color, and texture of His goodness and beauty. We become enveloped in His grace and mercy - a soft place to land in melancholy times.

2 comments:

  1. Love, love, love. Love that you left it untitled. I really like the colors and textures

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, Laura! I didn't know that your mom had died when you were that young! I am so sorry. I like your use of the word "enveloped". The flowers are enveloped in a glow of safe arms...just like God envelops us with his arms.

    ReplyDelete